Sunday, January 19, 2014

Ghibli anime not available in the U.S.

I have just added three releases of Studio Ghibli anime that are not available in the U.S. to my Recommended Anime list.

These are:

Ghibli ga Ippai Special Short Short
- a collection of shorts by the studio and a subsidiary.

Ocean Waves (Umi ga Kikoeru, a.k.a. I Can Hear the Sea)
- a wonderful slow paced film that is one of my favorites.

Only Yesterday (Omohide Poro Poro)
- The Disney corporation acquired this title back in the mid 1990s and still has no plans for a U.S. release.

Only Yesterday is the only one out on both Blu-ray and DVD. Given how more of the Ghibli works are coming out on Blu-ray it may only be a mater of time before they are all on tha format.

Soon I plan to add more of the Ghibli documentaries to the recommended lists. For a list of Studio Ghibli titles I have on the recommended list check the listing on the Creators - Those Behind the Works I Recommend page.

1 comment:

Patrick Drazen said...

I was lucky and air-checked "Only Yesterday" on VHS subbed on Turner Classics when they did a Ghibli tribute years ago; also trapped Ponpoko and Totoro subbed.